Sunday, April 18, 2010

My Big Brother Kyser Miree, 1986-2010

Dear Friends,

Please accept this letter from the bottom of my heart as I don't yet have the strength to return your loving phone calls and heartfelt messages.

I've been staring at this blank page for three hours now. My hands are still trembling uncontrollably. There's just good no way to share with you the details of my worst nightmare.

My big brother and lifelong hero, the one and only Kyser Miree, was taken from us forever this weekend. Kyser was alone in his living room on Friday night when some human entered his home and shot him in the back of the head. My heart writhes in anguish over the senseless murder of the most peaceful and chipper man this world has ever seen.

KYSER. Dude. I celebrate your unprecedented awesomeness today and always. I will miss you every day for the rest of my life. I'm obviously not the only one, judging by the hundreds of caring hands that have reached out to our family this weekend. In a twisted way, it's a beautiful sight. It just reminds me of the epic impact you've had not just on me but on the whole world. No crazy bastard with a gun can take away the treasures you brought into our lives.

Friends. This is the first contact I've mustered up with the outside world since the tragedy struck. Please accept my sincere gratitude to each of you for reaching out. I cry when I read your messages because the pain you must feel right now horrifies me. I am deeply sorry for the loss of your friend Kyser. I wish you peace in your struggle with this atrocious injustice.

Kyser's funeral will be this Tuesday, 3:00 p.m. at Independent Presbyterian Church in Birmingham. Everyone is welcome to come say goodbye to him.

I trust I will see many of you soon. My heart meanwhile goes out to all of you in the world who experienced even a moment of the joyful Kyser Miree phenomenon.

With love that mere words cannot describe,

"Kyser's Little Brother"